Position Location: Northwest United States
Work Schedule: .75 FTE
Salary: Dependent on experience
Organizational Mission: The mission of The Wilderness Land Trust is “We keep the Promise of Wilderness – By acquiring and transferring private lands (inholdings) to public ownership that complete designated and proposed wilderness areas, or directly protect wilderness values.”
Position Description: The Wilderness Land Trust has an opening for a salaried position as a Lands Specialist to manage wilderness land acquisition and transfer projects primarily in the western states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, parts of Colorado and elsewhere as required. In conjunction with the President, the Lands Specialist works to guide the effectiveness of the Trust in all functional areas and reports directly to the President.
Ideal Candidate: The ideal candidate must have exceptional interpersonal skills, at least 3-4 years’ experience working remotely on successful land conservation real estate transactions, be very detail-oriented, a proven ability to travel and work alone managing numerous complex projects across multiple states, a passion for wilderness preservation and enjoy working in a small, complex, non-profit environment.
- Provide project recommendations to the President and staff, including potential funding sources to cover project and operational costs.
- Initiate and negotiate private land acquisition and transfer to managing agencies as guided by adopted goals.
- Helps raise sufficient funds to cover acquisition and operational costs in cooperation with the President, staff and members of the board.
- Develop project-specific budgets, and manages project and operational expense consistent with the current fiscal year approved budget.
- Manage all project-specific contracts and supervise contractors as needed.
- Travel regularly to meet with landowners, agency (U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service) staff and local wilderness conservation advocacy organizations to build trust and relationships.
- Conduct business in a professional and business-like manner.
- Effectively and efficiently promote The Wilderness Land Trust to further the goals and mission of the organization.
- Communicate fully with the President, staff and board of directors.
Necessary Skill and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent job experience.
- 3-4 years’ experience working with private landowners and successfully negotiating land conservation deals.
- Ability to work alone and travel to remote locations, including designated and proposed wilderness areas.
- Ability to set priorities, problem solve, and manage a portfolio of numerous projects spread across multiple western states.
- Familiarity with federal land management agencies and how they work to manage wilderness designation, including the acquisition of private inholdings funded through the Land and Water Conservation Fund.
- Ability to write project grant or loan applications and manage all reporting requirements.
- Very detail oriented, with ability to present projects in a clear, concise, written and verbal manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small team, and be willing and flexible to assist with additional requests for help as needed.
- A good sense of humor.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Outlook, file-sharing systems and lands database management.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until November 30, 2019. The position begins January 1, 2020.