Join Our Team
Employment Opportunity: Director of Marketing and Communications
Position Location: Western United States
Work Schedule: .75 FTE
Salary: $65,000 – $70,000 DOE
Benefits Offered by The Wilderness Land Trust
The Wilderness Land Trust offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan, three weeks annual paid vacation, work from home or office schedule, and professional development opportunities.
We keep the Promise of Wilderness – by acquiring and transferring private lands to public ownership to complete designated and proposed wilderness areas, or directly protect wilderness values. Celebrating 30 years of protecting our nation’s treasured wilderness in 2022, The Wilderness Land Trust is the only national conservation organization solely dedicated to purchasing privately owned lands within federally designated wilderness and transferring them into public ownership to ensure the promise of wilderness for future generations. For more information go to: www.wildernesslandtrust.org
Summary of Position
The Director of Marketing and Communications is a member of The Wilderness Land Trust’s core management team, and reports to and is supervised by the President. Primary responsibilities include the development and implementation of a comprehensive, organization-wide, and strategic approach to marketing, communications and public relations with the goal of connecting with and engaging constituents to act on behalf of The Wilderness Land Trust. The position primarily serves to strategically plan and execute a marketing and communications program to achieve specific outcomes; and that is integrated with land acquisition and fundraising efforts. The position works with board and staff to contribute specific expertise to build a constituent-centered approach and marketing mindset to reach, engage and include target markets. Time commitment is 30 hours per week or equivalent to .75 FTE.
The ideal candidate must have exceptional interpersonal skills, at least 4-5 years’ experience in marketing, communications, public relations or related experience, be very detail-oriented, a proven ability to travel and work alone managing marketing and communications activities in order to meet hard deadlines, a passion for wilderness conservation, a good sense of humor and enjoy working in a small, complex, non-profit environment
• Lead strategist for all marketing and communications.
• Creates and implements strategic marketing, public relations and communications plans with specific strategies designed for target markets, partners and the public to meet specific measurable goals and outcomes.
• Conducts research to identify and describe target markets to determine which outreach tools or strategies will be most effective.
• Designs, implements and evaluates direct contact, engagement opportunities and other marketing strategies designed for target markets to achieve organizational goals.
• Designs and maintains current organizational written materials, website and social media platforms to promote The Wilderness Land Trust and permanent protection of federally designated wilderness.
• Consistently updates and analyzes the Trust’s social media and web presence, ensuring consistency with organizational core values, branding, voice and messaging for a positive, ubiquitous connection and engagement of core audience.
• Writes and places articles about wilderness values, threats and the unique role of the Trust’s Lands Program to counter those threats in partner organization newsletters, local and national publications.
• Contributes articles, blogs, posts, videos and presentations about wilderness values and the unique role of the Trust to heighten awareness and support of federally designated wilderness and to inspire people to seek The Wilderness Land Trust website for further content and information.
• Establishment and execution of a communications editorial calendar. This includes identifying content sources, developing and maintaining a content library and developing an organizational content approval process.
• Create and execute an internal communications guide to help Board members talk about the work of The Wilderness land Trust so more people connect with and support the organization.
• Provide editorial assistance for other departmental external communications as necessary.
• Manages and builds internal photo and video database to capture project, partner, human interest and environmental material to draft and promote compelling stories of the Trust’s work.
• Manages operational expenses consistent with the current budget and budget resolutions.
• Manages and negotiates contracts for goods and services acquired, as they relate to the Marketing and Communications program needs.
• Keeps budgetary, financial and project records in a systematic manner using Trust protocols.
• Conducts business in a professional and business-like manner, consistent with the Standards and Practices promulgated by the Land Trust Alliance.
• Collaborates with staff on special events, Board meetings, site visits and program activities.
• Manages consultants and contractors as needed to achieve program goals.
• Furthers the goals and mission of the organization.
• Communicates fully with other staff and Board Members.
• Represents the Trust in a professional manner at meetings, gatherings and in social settings.
• Bachelors’ degree in digital media, marketing, communications or related field.
• Must have at least 4 – 5 years marketing, communications, public relations or related experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to convey complex issues in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Ability to create and implement strategic marketing plans to achieve results in a timely manner.
• Ability to track and analyze multi-media results on a regular basis.
• Computer literate, proficient with and knowledgeable about social media, Microsoft software applications, Adobe Photoshop, database software and other online project management tools and resources.
• Highly motivated to work both independently and as part of a small team of five employees, with ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally.
• Ability to set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals and track details, data, information and activities.
• Demonstrated commitment to business practices aligned with the values of the Trust and environmental issues, specifically wilderness preservation.
• Honors principles of justice, diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Extensive travel, as needed.
• Occasional weekend and evening work, as needed.
• Work location requires reliable internet, cell phone service and convenient to a commercially served airport.
The Wilderness Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer who strives to increase access to opportunity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our hiring processes and work. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation, ability, age, race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and a sample of a strategic marketing and communications plan you created and managed to: email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2022. The position begins August 1, 2022.