Employment Opportunity: Director of Operations and Development
Position Location: Western United States
Work Schedule: .75 FTE
Salary: $60,000 – $65,000 DOE
Benefits Offered by The Wilderness Land Trust
The Wilderness Land Trust offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan, three weeks annual paid vacation, work from home or office schedule, and professional development opportunities.
We keep the Promise of Wilderness – by acquiring and transferring private lands to public ownership to complete designated and proposed wilderness areas, or directly protect wilderness values.
The Wilderness Land Trust has an opening for a salaried position as a Director of Operations and Development to support project-specific land acquisition fundraising efforts, oversee general fundraising activities to attract new donors and increase membership level donors, and direct outreach efforts to build public awareness of our work. In conjunction with the President, the Director of Operations and Development works to guide the effectiveness of the Trust in all functional areas and reports directly to the President.
The ideal candidate must have exceptional interpersonal skills, at least 3-4 years’ experience working remotely to help fund land acquisition projects and achieve annual fundraising goals, be very detail-oriented, a proven ability to travel and work alone managing donor outreach activities and meet hard deadlines, a passion for wilderness conservation, a good sense of humor and enjoy working in a small, complex, non-profit environment.
- Assist with project-specific support, including land acquisition fundraising activities and outreach to individual donors.
- Oversee membership-level fundraising to increase number of annual donors, increase donor retention rates and upgrade donor giving levels in cooperation with the president, staff and members of the board.
- Manage donor giving reporting, tracking of metrics, moves management, assist with the production of annual and special appeals, and the drafting of timely gift acknowledgement letters.
- Support various communication platforms, including the development and oversight of storytelling maps to raise public awareness of the Trust and attract potential new donors.
- Maintain donor record updates and wealth screening of new prospects.
- Conduct business in a professional and business-like manner.
- Effectively and efficiently promote the mission, vision and values of The Wilderness Land Trust.
- Communicate fully with the President, staff and board of directors.
Necessary Skill and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- 3-4 years’ experience working on wilderness land conservation and general nonprofit fundraising.
- Ability to work alone and travel to various destinations for project-specific events, donor meetings, fundraising training, in-person board meetings, annual staff retreat, Land Trust Alliance Rally.
- Ability to set priorities, problem solve, manage a portfolio of numerous public awareness, project-specific and general fundraising projects across multiple western states, and meet hard deadlines.
- Ability to write project grant or loan applications and manage all reporting requirements.
- Very detail oriented, with ability to present projects in a clear, concise, written and verbal manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small team and be willing and flexible to assist with additional requests for help as needed.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Blackbaud eTapestry, Dropbox file-sharing.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until December 31, 2021. The position begins February 1, 2022.